Thursday, October 27, 2011

Me worry? Ninja please!

While driving north on Rt.309 on Sunday I noticed Borders was closed. Petco was closed. Furniture store closed. The little dress shop on the corner is closing soon. Small strip mall completely empty now. As I drive further north heading home another strip mall deserted. Not for the day, closed for good. For lease signs in the windows. For sale signs scattered up the road side. I do not have a feeling of hope. I did get a feeling of dread. When is the economy going to turn around? Is it going too? When I hear of a company laying off more people or closing completely my first thought is more people I am competing with for limited positions.
I have been looking for a job for awhile now. I apply for jobs I am over qualified for, under qualified for, and jobs that would be perfect for someone with my qualifications. I call it the Goldie Locks Approach. I may just get lucky one of these days. And hopefully not mauled by bears.
I will be completely honest, I am not the leader. I am the worker. I like knowing my job, doing my job and doing my job well. I will give suggestions to my employer if I feel a procedure could be done more efficiently or more cost effectively but I am not the decision maker and I am okay with it. We were not all born to be leaders. Can I take charge when I need to? Yes I can and I can do it well. But I prefer to be the worker dude.
I do not need to be rich. I do not require much. I need to be able to pay the mortgage, the utilities, car payments and maintenance, and food. Put a little money away in savings for the unexpected expense and retirement. I live a modest life. Small house, average cars, clip coupons, only buy clothes if absolutely needed and they are on sale, etc...I am quite happy with my modest life.
Am I jealous of the rich and successful? No. I admire their drive and ambition. If you work hard you should reap your rewards. If you work even harder you should get even more. What I have a problem with is it is apparent to me the cost of living has risen substantially. The rate of paid for the average worker has drastically declined and I am competing for limited jobs against many many others. Do I have a solution to the economic crisis? No. I voted for elected officials because I felt they were capable of the task. I trusted in their ability to get things done. I feel as if I have made a mistake.
Do not fret my friends because I do know I will eventually find employment even if I have to start at the bottom again. I will always find a way to make it through the day, the week, the month, the year. Giving up is never an option.

But tonight I will not lie in bed and try and figure out which bill to pay first. Who I am going to make wait for their money? Where am I going to find the money to fix the truck and hope it does not require too much to pass inspection. Or how am I going to feed the family with the little money we have after I pay a few bills. Tonight I will imagine a world where a ninja and two vampires fight together against an army of demons. Mages cast deceptive spells and werewolves howl in the night. Friendships are tested and promises broken.

What? I can't worry all the time. And besides I can't afford a vacation so I will just visit one of the worlds residing in my head.

Be strong 
Stay strong
Smile as if you haven't a care in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment