Monday, April 11, 2011

Why do I do that

Do you ever look at another and compare yourself to them?
I do. I hate that I do. Tell myself to stop. But I still do.
Physically, Professionally, Creatively.
I am never jealous when someone is more fit than me
I am never jealous when someone is more successful than me
I am never jealous when someone is more talented than me.
I am actually happy for them. Good for them is my take on it.
What I am is disappointed in myself.
I should be more fit.
I should be more successful.
I should strengthen my talents.
So is it a good thing or a bad thing to compare.
It depends on how you look at it.
First view - do not judge yourself by other people's accomplishments. You are not them. Be yourself and strive to be the best you.
Second view - a little competition goes a long way. Will comparing myself to others motivate me to achieve more.
I think both views have merit but view one could have the downfall, well this is my best and you make excuses not to strive for more. Second view - You waste a lot of time beating yourself up. If you are going to compare, get a plan and execute it.

I would like to think a Ninja would just compare themselves to the person they were yesterday.
Everyday trying to be a little better than the day before.

Be a little better

1 comment:

  1. I think depending on what it is that you are comparing yourself on - either approach could work. I know that the second one works for me when I look at a certain martial artist that I know and I strive to become a better martial artist just like her. It also helps that she is a martial artist that likes to help and share her knowledge :)

    ReplyDelete